The proposed research project will be carried out within the Material Research & Technology (MRT) department. In particular, the group "Deign and Durability of Composites" led by Dr Salim Belouettar is involved. This group is composed by 10 research scientists dedicated to constitutive modelling of composites taking into account local and non-local damage, plasticity and material failure, inverse problems, multi-scale modelling, composites and adaptive advanced structures, structural dynamics and instabilities, health monitoring, smart materials, functionally graded materials, optimisation and non-linear solution strategies, computational time reduction techniques, computational mechanics (FEM, Meshless methods, XFEM). The DPS group focuses on data mining, machine learning and statistics for solving operational problems. It develops practical approaches for combining efficiently computer-based analysis and human input and addressing scalability, performance and reproducibility constraints.The DSP Group of the “e-Science” research and innovation unit will contribute to the project by providing cutting edge technology and by providing expertise in advanced analytics, visualization and management of complex data.
Dr S Belouettar: Research Group Leader at Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST)
Dr Salim Belouettar (SB) is the head of the Design and Durability research group at Luxembourg Institute of Science and technology, Luxembourg. SB research work includes the development and validation of reliable models and efficient simulation tools to describe and understand engineered complex non-linear behaviours, on a wide range of spatial and temporal scales, with an emphasis on advanced composite materials and structures. During his career, SB collaborated with many world leading industries such as AIRBUS, Thales Alenia space, the European Space Agency, etc. In the last 15 years, SB has been awarded a number of research grants from national and international funding agencies and coordinated two EC-funded projects (FP6-CASSEM and H-2020 COMPOSELECTOR projects).
Indicators and Metrics:
- Published more about 200 journal papers (H.index: 24).
- SB is Member of the Editorial Board of Composite Structures. Elsevier.
- Selected for China’s High-end Foreign Expert. 1000 Talent Plan of Foreign Expert.
- Adjunct Professor at the Faculty of Engineering, University of Wuhan, China.
- Full Member of the Scientific Council of the ENIM (Engineering School of Metz), France.
- Expert for the evaluation of the ELIPS Research Program (Life and Physical Science for Space) of the European Space Agency.
- Member of the European delegation of the India-Europe thematic discussions on Computational Material Science and Engineering.
- Coordinated of an FP6 STREP Project (highly competitive call). CASSEM: Composites and Adaptive Structures: Simulation, Experimentation and Modelling. Luxembourgish representative for European Science Foundation (ESF): Physical and Engineering Sciences (PESC).
- Elected member of the CORE Group of PESC at European Science Foundation.
- General Chairman of the European Conference Series Demeass on Smart Structures since 2007.
- Reviewer for 15 ISI journals (average of 20 papers reviewed a year).
- Reviewer for European Science Foundation (2008-2012).
- External examiner for PhD theses (Universities of of Lorraine, Paris-East, Paris-west, Charajah- Emirates, Strasbourg, IIT Kampur-India, etc.
- Promotion referee for the American University of Charajah, Emirates.
- Honorary reviewer for Slovenian, Romanian, Czech national and Estonian national research funding organisation since 2006.
- Member of the Scientific Council of the doctoral school of Mathematics and Engineering Sciences; University of Strasbourg (2006-2009). R
- apporteur for the European Science Foundation conferences and workshops.
Gaetano Giunta holds a PhD in aeraospace engineering from politecnico di Torino. Dr Giunta published more than 50 journal referenced journal papers. hehas been working on the development of advanced methods and tools for the multi-scale thermo-piezo-mechanical modelling and simulation of composite, sandwich and functionally graded materials and structures (beams, plates and shells) accounting for failure.
Ahmed Makradi holds a PhD in Physics and a habilitaion degree in mechancis. Dr Makradi as been working on the development of advanced methods and tools for the multi-scale modelling and simulation of the thermo-mechanical response and damage of shot and continuous reinforced polymer composites. He published about 80 referenced journal papers on these topics.
Benoît Otjacques, Head of e-Science Research Unit. Dr Otjacques has 20 years of experience in (applied) research in computer science and especially regarding data-related issues. The e-Science Unit of LIST regroups around 25 experts in data sciences covering data analytics as well as data visualization topics. In the recent years the applications in the environmental domain have significantly grown and represent today a strategic part of the e-Science portfolio of activities.